Whether you're a fellow art history major who can relate, or an outsider curious about our inner monologue, these are some thoughts that probably go through all art history majors' minds at some point or another.
1. I love making notecards and drilling dozens of dates into my brain. NOT. Too bad by the time I finish making these notecards I won't have time before the exam to study them.
2. It's impossible that all these paintings are from 1915, but for some reason that's the only date I can think of. Fail.
3. My notes are crap. Why did I not write down anything more relevant about the work?
4. Wow. This artist was a nut. I'll add that tidbit to my fun facts list.
5. If I have to remember the information for one more Madonna and Child painting I'm just going to lay down on the sidewalk and give up.
6. I should have been an econ major.
7. I studied 400 images and four were on the test. Four that I didn't know. FML.
8. WTF. Why would we ever compare these two works? What is my prof trying to get at? I must be missing something...
9. My hand is going to fall off. I've been frantically writing for an hour straight.
10. Shit. How do you spell this artist's name? So. Many. European. Artists.
11. Why did I not pursue computer science?
12. Images count for page length, right?
13. I'm just going to make up my own analysis of the art. It's either totally insane or visionary.
14. This is all BS, but I think I'm making it work. Just keep adding visual analysis.
15. It's 11 p.m. the night before this is due. I'm using this book I found in the library as a source no matter what. I'll make it work.
16. If I was a math major I wouldn't even have to write papers. Ever.
17. How much should I tip? How do I figure out 20 percent of the check? I used to be a mathlete. What happened to my brain? It's full of useless facts about the Mughals and their art, that's what.
18. You've never been to the MET? What planet do you hail from? I've been there twice this week. Please, please, please come to this gallery opening with me. I swear it won't be thaaat weird.
19. I lied. That show is going to be weird AF, but so awesome. They'll be happy they saw it. Maybe.
20. Yes, my major is fun, but art history classes aren't just us smoking a bong and talking about art. I swear we do work, too.
21. It's fine. I'll find a job. Maybe.